28 Feb Cartography in day to day. 5 examples
We may have heard about cartography and consider it to be a discipline. Not in vain, historically has always been an important tool at political and / or military level, but not so much for the rest of society. However, today in its day it has spread in such a way that, in a new way, it is rare the day we do not use it. Today we bring you five examples:
- Google Maps: We could talk about GPS in general. However, it is undoubted that the digitization of the cartography and the management of it by any citizen has in Google Maps its maximum exponent. Who has not ever used to go to an unknown place?
- Tourism: The first thing we do to visit a city is to go to the tourist offices or locate an information panel with the map of the city. Unless we like to lose and walk through the cities (highly recommended), we like to know where it is at all times and not miss a second to visit the most popular resources.
- Mental map: It is the least tangible of all, but there is no doubt when we choose a part of a city, even if it is the supermarket, try to remember the best route or reference point with guidance. If that moved to a paper, we could make our own map.
- Urban planning: The cartography in territorial planning is fundamental for the study of the work space from an escalation that allows such a purpose. Through it, an analysis is facilitated and obtained.
- Websites: Another widely used resource is the inclusion of a location map on the company’s website. If we go to the “contact” section, it is strange the business that, at present, does not have cartography in its business.
We see, therefore, that every day, the maps are in each of the actions we carry out. And many more that we have not commented on in the post. I think that the generalization of cartography, although many times we do not know what is behind it, is good news not only for this geographical discipline but, in general, for the entire public.